gracecheung604 | write on time: Lunch at Copa Cafe

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Lunch at Copa Cafe

On weekends, I love going to HK-style cafes because there just aren't any in downtown Vancouver, where I slave away at my day job, Monday to Friday.
A few weekends ago, I went to Copa Cafe on Cambie (near King Ed) and had one of my go-to dishes...BBQ Duck Rice Noodle Soup. I am one of those people who actually enjoy chewing on bones versus just eating chunks of meal. It seems to make the meal last longer. So I was delighted when my noodles arrived and I had gotten the BBQ Duck thigh...a great blend of meat and bone...and skin, the best part!
As per my usual order of business, I removed all the BBQ Ducky-Goodness onto a side plate so that I could enjoy the noodles underneath, without getting the crispy skin all soggy. Imagine my surprise when I found an "internal organ" as part of the dish. In all my years of devouring BBQ Duck (and BBQ Goose while in HK), I have never actually be served this. I have eaten the more common chicken version of the same thing...but never the duck at a cafe. I think I will be back just to see if this is de rigeur for them.  
My friend ordered one of their Thai-styled Fried Rices (I think it was the Roast Chicken one) and it was a huge portion. And really, you can't go wrong with anything that is topped with a fried egg. The only decision is exactly when you pop the yolk. I prefer to wait until half the dish is done, so that the yolky goodness is enough to make the remaining rice all wet and saucey.
Mark this BBQ Duck craving - satisfied!

Copa Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Imagine my surprise when I found an "internal organ" as part of the dish. In all my years of devouring BBQ Duck (and BBQ Goose while in HK), I have never actually be served this. I have eaten the more common chicken version of the same thing...but never the duck at a cafe. I think I will be back just to see if this is de rigeur for them.
    I think you hit the jackpot. This restaurant is dirty and serve anything that doesn't belong to what you ordered. I have a bad experience with them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:50 AM

    They also cheated customers, they serve cucumber instead of sing-qua as sing-qua stir fry beef. When you point out to the waitress, she knows it but don't do anything to change it and charge you for it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...