gracecheung604 | write on time: Rogue - new location by the Convention Centre

Monday, September 30, 2013

Rogue - new location by the Convention Centre

A few months ago, I tried out the Rogue Kitchen and Wet Bar on Broadway. I enjoyed the brunch but found parking to be a hassle. Recently, they opened up a new location by my work, so I decided to stop by for a light lunch. 2013-09-19 13.51.44 My mom had this last time, and it's a hefty meal. It's their Half Turkey Sandwich with Soup and Salad. Sheesh, it's a mouthful just to order it! The sandwich is on slices of cranberry sourdough, and there is plenty of sliced turkey breast too. Add your usual lettuce and tomato and this sandwich is quite a handful. We asked for the bourbon bacon jam and dijon-mayo to be served on the side, not wanting the kitchen to err on the side of over-sauciness. 

The seafood chowder is quite rich and creamy, and is loaded with fish, clams, mussels and chunks of potato. And the little salad that it comes with is really cute, lots of pretty and fresh organic greens. It's definitely a well-rounded entree and absolutely more than enough food for lunch.
2013-09-19 13.50.29 
This is quite a healthy dish, it's their Baja Fish Tacos. Instead of having it on soft tortillas, I opted for the paleo version and had it on several leaves of romaine instead. I wish more places would offer this option (and at no extra charge). I know Romer's allows you to switch out their bun for two halves of an iceberg lettuce, but it's an extra $0.75 to "make it green". I know, it's not a lot of money, so why bother? 
2013-09-19 13.50.38 
My side salad was okay, lots more romaine and just a touch of parmesan. The dressing was creamy and a little bit goes a long way. The best thing about this salad is the corn bread croutons. You can really tell the difference! 
2013-09-19 13.50.35 
What I liked most about these tacos is the basa. They are Cajun spiced, but not breaded like the ones I had a Joey's. The pineapple salsa is quite light and has good citrus flavours. I asked for the avocado cream on the side, and I'm glad I did, it was really rich. My only complaint is that the romaine was a bit soft, probably due to the warm fish inside. Perhaps a few extra leaves would prevent some of the wilting? Or, why not serve them separate, sort of like Cactus Club's lettuce wraps!?

Take Note:


  • Great patio but gets full fast
  • Casual food and setting, good for a workday lunch
  • Service can be slow at times, servers like to chat with big tippers 


Rogue Kitchen & WetBar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...