gracecheung604 | write on time: Joeys in Burnaby

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Joeys in Burnaby

Joey's opened in my hood! As a way to say "we're in the neighbourhood", they flooded the apartment towers nearby with a $10 gift card. I decided to head over one night to use mine with my work bff. The next night, I went again with my parents. Here is a consolidated post!
We got the Lettuce Wrap as suggested by our waitress, who was shipped here from her regular location in Seattle. These were shocking good, lots of filling! We actually had to ask for more lettuce to finish it off.
The next thing we got were the Edamame...just something green that is a little bit healthy. It was steamed and then sprinkled with sea salt. You can't go wrong with this, but honestly, it's always overpriced when you have it out at a restaurant.
We didn't actually order these Ahi Tuna Tacos, but the folks at Joey's were so kind and just gifted them to us. These are my work bff's favourite, so they were very welcomed.
Theses seared rare Ahi tuna slices are paired with a little bit of Asian coleslaw and wasabi-lime aioli, all tucked into a fried wonton skin taco.
The next night, I headed back with my parents. So appropriate that we ordered this...my poor stepdad.
We got a soup for the three of us to try...their wild and Creamy Mushroom Soup. It's made with a bit of sherry for depth of flavour, but not nearly as creamy as you'd expect. It's not heavy at all, and the wild mushrooms really opens up this soup.
My stepdad decided to go with their 7oz Top Sirloin. As you can see, it's very nicely grilled and seasoned with their signature steak spice.
I have to show you a close up of their "crispy mashed potatoes". I mean, really what IS that?
Okay, if you haven't tried this, you must! It's mashed potatoes wrapped in a spring roll wrap, and then deep fried. OMG...you must try!
My mom got their Ahi Tuna Tacos, but enough about them from earlier. Needless to say, she loved it, because she didn't share with us. Not one bite.
I got their Bacon Cheddar Burger...um, that's a big boy! They call it their Hi-Rise burger, and oh yeah, they got that right. Their fries are really good too...and they're not skimpy with them either!  
Here is a close-up of the burger. Loads of bacon, lettuce, and one slice of tomato and a huge chuck of raw onion. I'd remove the onion if I was here on a date, unless you're sharing!
To show you just how "high" this hi-rise is...it's the height of my finger! Can you believe it?
Here is a cross-section view of the burger, minus the onion slice. I totally smoooshed it down to cut it! Oh, and I removed some of the lettuce too...there was so much, I thought I could make a salad!
And another thing I do like is the attention they pay to their bun...it's god poppseed and sesame!
I always ask for my buns to be "double toasted", whether it's for subs, sandwiches and burgers. I find that this is the best way to avoid mushy burgers.
Do you do that too?
Joey Burnaby on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Holy fried potatoes! I've never heard of crispy mashed potatoes like this before. Now I NEED to visit Joeys...any Joeys...to give these bad boys a tasting. And I think I just tried to lick my phone for a taster...didn't work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...