gracecheung604 | write on time: Bo Laksa King's Bubbles & Bits - Finally!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bo Laksa King's Bubbles & Bits - Finally!

I have not been living under a rock, but for some reason, I didn't actually try Bo Laksa King until late last year. I was shocked at how small the place was, and how quickly it filled up! There were two things I knew I wanted to try, the roti and the laksa. So the first item we got was the Roti. 
roti 2
The Roti was just a bit crunchy on the outside with nice chewy layers inside. I dunked the roti into the curry sauce and immediately regretted it. The sauce was really watery and it had a really weird tangy (tamarind-like) flavour to it. Needless to say, we did not finish this up.  pad thai 2The next dish to arrive was the Shrimp Pad Thai. This was loaded, packed with shrimp, tofu, eggs, chives and sprouts. I liked that it was not as wet as other places, and the noodles stayed nice and not clumped together. The little wedge of lime is a nice touch, and I would recommend using it to give the dish a lighter feel. This was not spicy at all though, so be sure to ask for hot sauce if you like it that way.  butter chicken  2
I did not expect them to have was Butter Chicken but we decided to try it anyways. It comes with naan and rice, along with some pickled vegetables. The butter chicken seemed quite mild at first, but after a few bites, you can definitely feel the heat kick in. The rice was definitely needed, and the veggies did help to cut the heat a bit. 
The most disappointing thing on the plate was the naan, but it really shouldn't even be called naan. It was doughy, hard and almost biscuit like. Again, we left it and concentrated on the stuff we liked. 
rendang 
Please accept my apologies for the angle of this shot of the Rendang Beef, even more so because it was probably the best dish of the day. The beef was super tender, but there was a strong hint of clove, which didn't seem to fit. There wasn't much heat, but that was to be expected. There was a lot of sauce, which was great because it went really well with the roti!laksaAnd of course we had to get a Laksa, and between the vermicelli and the yellow noodles, I picked the yellow ones. I find that the vermicelli is often overcooked and becomes clumpy. Vermicelli also absorbs the soup too fast, and gets progressively soggier as you keep going. The yellow noodles are harder to overcook and are not nearly as absorbent. I did like the plentiful ingredients, with fish balls, shrimp, chicken and tofu. 
There was also a hard boiled egg, but the yolk was grey/green and almost ruined the dish for me. Good thing I had pulled it out of the soup to slice in half. The rest of the ingredients were more than enough, and the chilies, onions and sprouts gave the dish great texture. The broth isn't too spicy, and is a lot less spicier than it appears in the image above, trust me.

Take Note:


  • Cash Only
  • Very small, so come at "off-peak" times.
  • Closes early on Sundays

Bo Laksa King's Bubbles & Bits on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...