gracecheung604 | write on time: Dim Sum at Grand Dynasty

Sunday, August 07, 2011

Dim Sum at Grand Dynasty

Since I'm off work on Wednesdays during the summer, I try to make all my friends take the day off (cough, cough) so they can come eat and play outside with me. A few Wednesdays ago, I headed out for a dim sum lunch in my hood with one of my besties! We checked out Grand Dynasty, where I had been for dinners, but never for lunch. 
We started off the meal with a fried goodie - this one isn't much to look at, but wait until you hear what's inside! There's taro paste, duck and enoki mushroom. This was my favourite by FAR! One thing about dim sum is that it allows you to sample without having to make a meal out of something. But boy, I could have 6 of these and call it a day! 
We also tried their Baked BBQ Pork Bun. I know, on the outside, it's a little boring looking, but don't let that fool you! The bun is a steamed Chinese bun with a crumbly topping. And inside, there is a load of BBQ pork. If you don't like the traditional steamed BBQ Pork Bun they have at Kirin because it seems too plain, or the overly sweet baked BBQ bun at other places, this is the one you must try! It's so good you will wonder why they haven't made something like this before - a perfect hybrid.
Next up was their Deep Fried Bean Bead Curd with crab meat - loaded with crab and deep fried, this was good for you and bad for you at the same time. 

One other item we ordered was the Chicken Wrapped with Fish Maw and Bamboo Pith. I've had this dish before in variations, usually with the chicken and fish maw totally wrapped in bamboo and hidden from sight. But this was a delightful surprise! Not only did they use black silkie chicken, the fish maw was the actual wrapping. Delightful to look at, but one out of the three pieces here was really dry. Not sure if that is how silkie chicken is supposed to be? Anyone out there know? 
And to round of the meal, we also got the Fried Steamed Bun. Essentially it's a XLB you'd find at Chen's but with a denser skin and they fry the bottom after it's been steamed. So beware, yes, there is still soup loaded inside. Eat with caution.
As this restaurant is close to my home, I will be back. They have a lot of interesting things on the menu so it's best to go in a large group so you can sample the variety.
On and there is one thing weird about the presentation/garnish on three of the five dishes here...can you tell what it is?

Grand Dynasty Seafood Restaurant 金殿皇朝海鮮料理 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...