gracecheung604 | write on time: Father's Day at Yew

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day at Yew

YEW Restaurant + Bar on Urbanspoon
On Father's Day, I decided to surprise my stepdad with a visit to Yew. I know he hasn't been here before, but I've taken my mom here for brunch, and she enjoyed it. The restaurant wasn't too busy, so we were seaterd quickly.
My mom decided to order $35 Prix Fixe meal, which came with a choice of Consumme/Spot Prawns for the appetizer. She chose the consumme, which arrived with a little bowl of basil oil on the side. The flavoer was rather mild, but the very refreshing. Even more shocking was the portion size, much more generous than I expected. 
My appetizer were oysters, some miyagis and kumomotos, all served with their homemade sauces, House-Made Tabasco, Ice Wine Mignonette, Guava Horseradish and a Citrus Ponzu.
My stepdad chose to order the Spot Prawn app, which was a serving of four poached spot prawns, atop a bed of fennel salad...pretty good! 
The mains were next, and the choice with the Prix Fixe menu was either Crispy Duck or a Local Seafood Sampler. Both my parents opted for the seafood. The sauce was made from a lobster broth enriched with herbs and saffron, and a splash of pernod. Despite its rich texture, there was no milk or cream in this sauce...just a slow and patient reduction...divine! 
I opted for the Bison Garganelli, part of the regular menu. Described as a dish of Bison Meatballs, Garganelli Pasta, Crushed Tomatoes, Farmhouse Country Blue Cheese, it was exactly as described. The handrolled pasta was cooked perfectly al dente, and the bison meatballs were nicely complimented by the blue cheese. I do have one complaint though...the sauce was really watery...almost as if the pasta wasn't drained properly.
Here is a closer look at the perfectly formed garganelli...I love fresh pasta...
The prix fixe came with the following dessert...raspberry sorbet, I'm guessing? I've lost my notes for this page... If anyone knows exactly what this is, please comment below.
For my dessert...which I do remember, it was the amazing pear martini...nicely done, and a perfect end to a very satisfying meal! 
After we asked for the check, the delighted us further with cocoa dusted nuts and various gelees. Oh, I will be back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...