gracecheung604 | write on time: Tasty Eats at Trattoria

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tasty Eats at Trattoria

Trattoria Italian Kitchen on Urbanspoon
A few months ago, I tried Trattoria on Fourth for the first time for dinner. As a fan of the Glowbal Group, I had some high expectations. This place doesn't take reservations for dinner so show up early! 
We started dinner off with their burrata cheese crostini...so good. I could eat burrata all day long. It's a mild-flavoured cheese but so rich in texture. Creamy and buttery, a spoonful is pretty much all I can handle at a time.  
Since we had a toddler with us, they gave us another appetizer more suitable for him. Their famous Kobe meatball. It was a hit and was gobbled up in minutes. After we painstaking cut it into quarters. No doubt about it, this kid eats well. 
In order to make sure the kid was fed, we ordered their cheese pizza as soon as we sat down. Cut into quarters, the pizza was doughy enough to be filling and cheesy enough to be tasty. After taking a quarter, the boy fell asleep for about two hours. I don't know what they put in that pizza, but for him to fall asleep in the noisy Trattoria, you know he was fully satisfied.
With the toddler asleep, the adults could dine properly. We started off with the calamari. The breading was thin and deep-fried to golden crispiness. Served atop some spicy tomato sauce, this was definitely a good starter. Definitely whetted our appetite for more food! 
For the past few months, I had been craving linguine...in a light non-cream based sauce. When I saw the Linguine Vongole on the menu, I was sold. As with Italian Kitchen, the pasta was cooked to al dente in a simple sauce of tomato and thyme, with a bit of peperoncino. The clams were all still attached to the shell, avoiding the dreaded and all too common "empty shell, clams on the bottom" syndrome. 
We also tried the Special of the Night - a homemade gnocchi with salmon and tiger prawns. I think the server said there were supposed to be three prawns but when the dish arrived, we only had two. The spinach gnocchi was good and you can definitely tell it was homemade that day. Really fluffy and pillowy. The salmon was grilled nicely, with a crispy skin, just the way I like it. The prosciutto wrapped prawn...well, anything with a prosciutto, pancetta or bacon wins me over every time. And yes, it helped that these prawns were pretty big! 
Although we both had pastas for our mains, we definitely had room for dessert. We got a few to try...from left to right, they are the Zeppole (home made choco filled fritters) served with vanilla cream, a biscotti and the decadent Tiramisu.
I am not a huge dessert fan, but this was one of the best tiramisu I've had. Layered with just the right amount of wet cream and soaked biscotti, it was really good. If you're like me and not a fan of really sweet desserts, (I usually go for the lemon tart at most places), then this is worth a shot. It's rich and indulgent, but not sugary sweet. I'm glad I saved room for dessert this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...